Someone's in the house. He's watching. He's creeping round, only you can't see him. He's watching you from the walls. He's right behind you now. Looking over your shoulder. He wants the remote control. He's a bad boy. He wants to watch bad movies. Bad bad Ronald...

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

BAD RONALD REVIEW: The Slumber Party Massacre Collection

Get Drilled Baby!
So, you know the drill here.  We're all horror nerds and we've seen the Slumber Party flicks during our get-to-know-the-classics phase.  But now's your chance to experience all the blood shed and shredded nighties once again, all together in one deluxe package.

It's been a while since I visited TSPM.  I remember being somewhat underwhelmed the first time I watched it.  Being a horror nut, I enjoyed it, but it sure was no Halloween!  The feminist angle was above my head, too.  I was a kid wit h a Betamax machine, looking for blood and guts and girls. That's all.  Now, as an adult, I can look at these movies with a more experienced eye.  As a result, I had a lot more fun, mainly with the first and original Slumber Party Massacre.
I feel dirty
Had I been aware that TSPM was written by a renowned feminist writer Rita Mae Brown, I probably would've laughed it off.  Being young and naive, I would have surely found fault with the idea once I saw the girls in the shower.  The lingering shots of boobs and bums would've been just pure eye candy for me.  "Boob shots! This is feminism?  Give me a break!!"  Oh to be young and ignorant... and horny.

The obvious satire is present throughout: girls taking the male dominated roles of athlete, the boys who act more like prissy girls, the handy-lady who does all the manly repairs.  But, I wanna get back to that shower scene and take a closer look. (Yeah, no kidding?)  Watching it after twenty years, I had the same thought -- wow!  But then, the longer the camera lingered, I began to wonder Just how is this feminism?  And where can I see more feminist horror!  And then there comes that loooong, lingering pan up the backside of one of the female athletes.  And that's when I got it! The director Amy Jones is delivering just what the horndog doctor ordered, a full dose of female skin... and then some.  The camera lingers so long on the pretty derriere that it becomes obvious that I'm staring. It's not a comfort issue, but I certainly felt a little lecherous, and I think that's what Jones was going for.  It's as if she's demonstrating how silly it is to be wrapped up in the vision of all these naughty bits.  It's a nice little tongue in cheek moment.
Okay, where's the bologna?
This new package by Shout! Factory is worth it just to have the original Slumber Party, but also because of the terrific 3 part documentary Sleepless Nights: Revisiting the Slumber Party Massacres. For fans of the series, it's a great look back at the films from the filmmakers and the players.

Go see more at Shout! Factory.

No comments:

Post a Comment